Sunday, November 23, 2014

Week 1 — Introduction


Hello, World. My name is Ian Witham, your host for this Communication in the Sciences mandated blog.

This year I completed a Diploma in Software Development. My final year of the diploma was a challenging one for myself and my family. Before a late rally, my motivation had sunk to an all time low. Unexpectedly, I graduated with a good grade. Excellent, in fact. After a few weeks of reflecting on this embarrassing turn of events, and concluding that just maybe I'm capable of being studious after all, I enrolled in a Bachelor of Science degree at Massey University.

I've come to Massey primarily to study computer science, and this is what I intend to major in. I have loved using computers since I was first introduced to the famous ZX Spectrum computer in the early 1980s. Even then I was fascinated by programming (I could draw coloured circles and make make the computer go "beep" like a pro).

I expect to get a lot from Communication in the Sciences. Good writing is essential for computer programmers. Of course it is necessary to effectively document and communicate our ideas in prose, but also in the programs we write. This is encapsulated well by one of my favourite quotes on the subject:
Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute

I have a few ideas on what makes for good writing. Short sentences. Plain style. Putting the interesting words to begin and end each sentence. Clearly my writing has a some distance to make up yet.

I am also hopeful that this paper will lead me into a regular writing habit; To writing little every day (or most days, failing that). I would love to continue blogging once this paper is completed.

Finally, to my comrades studying alongside me this summer, good luck!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ian,

    Wow, software development and computer sciences? That sounds like a complex course; a lot of jargon I would struggle to remember, I'm sure! Although, computers have never really been my forte. Not surprising considering I took about twenty minutes just to find my pending comments on my blog. I admire your high achievements. Congratulations!

    Your writing is very clear and concise,I'm sure you will pass with flying colours in this paper. Good luck to you also.

    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ian!

    Your skills in computing would've come in great handy very recently(about 5 mins ago),whilst i searched around for how to review and publish the pending comments on my blog!
    Please excuse me in the delay of posting on yours, i did however enjoy the quick read, you keep it concise and relevant. Given your interests in IT and presumably technological gadgets,it begs the question; are you a Samsung or Apple man?

    ReplyDelete